Bi Fold vs Patio?
Many of our customers ask for advice on which is the best - a bi-folding door or a sliding patio? In truth there is no better product, they are simply different products that are best suited to different environments. There are really two key benefits of each product, so answer the question below to find out which product is the one for you:
I want as much
glass as possible
We recommend a sliding patio, as patio panes can be made up to 2 metres wide whereas bi folds can only go up to 1200mm. This means patios afford you much larger glazing panes, which are great for uninterrupted views of the outside.
I want the largest
opening space possible
We recommend a bi-fold, as you can slide all doors and use the full opening to create a transition between outside and inside. Please note British weather may not permit this very often! Sliding patio doors can never be fully open like bi-folds and will always have at least one fixed pane.
- If you have opening restrictions (e.g. on a balcony or inside the home) then a patio may be better, as these do not need any room to stack like the bi-folds.
- Generally speaking patios will have a slightly improved energy rating due to the amount of glass, so if you have a competitive U value to achieve a patio may be the best option.
- Bi-folds can only be manufactured up to 6 metres in width. Patios are available up to 12 metres!
- Generally the price difference between bi folds and patios is negligible. However, for patios with larger glazing panels (1500mm plus) the glass has to be upgraded to 6mm laminated which does add a premium to the price.
- Patios are generally recommended for large span areas where bi folds are not appropriate (e.g. areas exposed to high winds or upper floor apartments)
Still not sure? Call a member of our sales team today for a chat on 01642 309 576